Mayer Building, Office 953
My research is broadly in Memory Systems and Computer Architecture.
Short Professional Biography
Amit Berman is a Ph.D candidate at the Electrical Engineering Department, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology. He received the B.Sc and M.Sc in Electrical Engineering at 2006 and 2010 respectively. He is a recipient of several awards, including Hershel Rich Technion Innovation award, HPI fellowship and Intel research award. He held engineering and management positions at Intel and Saifun (acquired by Spansion) during 2003-2009. He authored several international publications in the field of memory systems and computer architecture and holds several pending US patents.
1) A. Berman, Y. Birk, “Retired Page Utilization in Write-Once Memory – a Coding Perspective”, To Appear in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2013..
2) O. Rottenstreich, A. Berman, Y. Cassuto, I. Keslassy, “Compression for Fixed-Width Memories”, To Appear in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2013.
3) A. Berman, Y. Birk, “Utilizing Retired Pages for Improved Write Capacity of Solid-State Drives”, Annual Non-Volatile Memories Workshop (NVMW) 2013.
4) A. Berman, Y. Birk, O. Rottenstreich, "Probabilistic Performance of Write-Once Memory with Linear WOM Codes – Analysis and Insights", IEEE Allerton 2012.
5) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Memory Array Microarchitecture: Algorithmic Techniques for Density and Performance Enhancement", Convention of IEEEI 2012.
6) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Low Complexity Two-Dimensional Data Encoding for Memory Inter-Cell Interference Reduction", Convention of IEEEI 2012.
7) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Accelerating Flash Memory Access by Speculative Early Sensing Decision", Annual Non-Volatile Memories Workshop (NVMW) 2012.
8) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Constrained Flash Memory Programming", IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2011.
9) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Error Correction Scheme for Constrained Inter-Cell Interference in Flash Memory", Annual Non-Volatile Memories Workshop (NVMW), 2011.
10) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Integrating De-Duplication and Write for Increased Endurance and Performance of Solid-State Drives", Convention of IEEEI, 2010.
11) A. Berman, R. Ginosar, I. Keidar, "Order is Power: Selective Packet Interleaving for Energy Efficient Networks-on-Chip", IEEE/IFIP Int’l Conf. on VLSI and System-on-Chip (VLSI-SoC), 2010.
12) A. Berman, I. Keidar, "Low Overhead Error Detection for Networks-on-Chip", IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2009.
13) A. Berman, U.C. Weiser, "Reliable Architecture for Flash Memory", Emerging Memory Technology Workshop, ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), 2009.
14) R. Sahar, A. Lavan, A. Berman, E. Maayan, B. Eitan et-al., "A 4b/Cell 8Gb NROM Data-Storage Memory with Enhanced Write Performance", IEEE Int’l Solid-State Circuits Conf. (ISSCC), 2008.
1) Hershel Rich Technion Innovation Award (2012)
2) Intel Research and Excellence Award (PhD studies, 2012)
3) Michell Grant (2012)
4) HPI Fellowship (2010-2013)
5) Intel Research and Excellence Award (MSc studies, 2009)
6) Recognition, International Solid-State Circuits Conference (2007)
7) Best B.Sc Engineering Project (2006)
1) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Accelerating Flash Memory Performance", Annual Flash Memory Summit (FMS), 2011.
2) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Flash Memory Performance: Insights and Multi-Layer Trade-offs", Annual Symposium on Future Trends in Service-Oriented Computing (FutureSOC), 2011.
3) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Mitigating Inter-Cell Coupling in MLC NAND Flash via Coding", Annual Flash Memory Summit (FMS), 2010.
4) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Solid-State Drive (SSD) Future Architectures", Annual Symposium on Future Trends in Service-Oriented Computing (FutureSOC), 2010.
In the Press
· Project supervisor at HSDSL lab, VLSI lab, PSL lab
· 046853 - VLSI Architecture Design
· 046262 – High Speed Digital Systems Design
· Lab2/3 – Introduction to multi-core microprocessor
· Lab2/3 – High speed communication protocols
1) IEEE International Conference on Information Theory (ISIT’13)
2) IEEE Transactions on Information Theory Journal
3) European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys'13)
4) ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA'12)
5) Annual International Storage and Systems Conference (SYSTOR'12)
6) IEEE Transactions on Computers Journal
7) Annual ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO'11)
8) IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom'11)
9) ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems Journal
10) USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in System Dependability (HotDep'10)
11) IEEE Symposium on Massive Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST'10)
12) ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Networks on Chip (NOCS'10)
13) ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA'10)
14) International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC'09)
15) USENIX Symposium on Operation Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'08)
1) A. Berman, Y. Birk, "Device, method and computer readable program for accessing memory cells using shortened read attempts", US61/507,616 pending.
2) Y. Birk, A. Berman, "Mitigating inter-cell coupling effects in non-volatile memory (NVM) cells", PCT/IB2011/053618, US61/374,281 pending.
3) A. Berman, "Method of operating non-volatile memory", US61/107,669 pending.
4) I. Bloom, A. Berman, A. Rizel, "Tail signature ECC", US60/980,518 pending.
5) A. Berman, I. Bloom, "Distribution switch", US60/980,515 pending.
6) A. Berman, A. Lavan, "Error correction method and circuit for NVM", US60/900,985 pending.
Electrical Engineering Department
Mayer Building, office 953
Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
Haifa 32000, Israel